Monday 29 April 2013

My Body Image Journey

When I was 15, to lose weight, I turned vegetarian for a year, cut all sweet foods, squeezed my french fries meticulously of oil, and fainted 3 times in school. 

At 20 years old, I hit the gym 3 times a week for 3 hours each time and tanned myself religiously on the weekends in a bid to achieve that "bronzed beach babe" look. Some people then commented I looked too dark and scrawny. 

At 28, I still felt extremely uncomfortable stepping out of the house without at least some concealer and blusher on. I developed a new obsession with fake eyelashes because it made me look more feminine and sultry. 

Fortunately, there's been progress the past 2 years. 

Last year, at 30, I looked at my belly in the mirror and still frown wistfully, trying to wish it away.

Presently at 31, I still have moments when I fear that I'm "getting fat". But now I have managed to look at the Fat Monster in my mind and say "To hell with you, I'm glad to be happy and healthy." And I relish the weekends when I go out to town with no trace of makeup on. I like my liberated self so much better. 


- Carrie Tan, 31 yrs old, Founder of DoT

Body image issues are a life-long struggle for some women. What's your story? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in our work.