Tuesday 4 June 2013

The Story of Madam Dewi

Just visited a lady, Madam Dewi from a low-income family with 4 young children living in a subsidised rental flat in Eunos, to discuss taking on some sewing work with DOT. She hasn't been able to hold down a stable job because with 4 children sometimes falling sick one after another, her absenteeism rate is quite high and her previous companies all couldn't accomodate these needs. Her husband earns only $1,400 a month which is barely enough for their family of 6.

She told me her eldest daughter needs to go for a tonsilitis surgery in July and she won't be available to work for a week then as she needs to take care of her. I offered the possibility of having one of our volunteer help with babysitting her 3 other kids during that time if she really needs help. She looked at me and said with gratitude "Why didn't I get to meet you earlier??? There were so many times before when I really needed some help and I couldn't get any."

I didn't know what to say, except that I'm glad to meet her now and it's never too late. She's got such a positive attitude amidst her difficulties, I can so see the makings of a leader in her, if only an understanding employer can provide her with the support to manage a job while juggling taking care of 4 children.

We are starting her off with home-based sewing work to make DOT's Five Stones Set, and I really hope in the next few months to be able to provide Madam Dewi with more paid work. Perhaps even employ her full-time to help with admin work when we have more financial resources. 

If anyone knows anyone with a lot of money wanting to do good, I am looking for a sponsor to help us rent an office space in the Eunos/Ubi area at $1,200 a month. DOT will need more inventory storage space very soon and an area for our women beneficiaries in Singapore to work together in a supportive environment. 


$14,400 will go a long way to help us make this next step to scale up our work in the next 12 months. Please help to spread the word, and if you'd like to contribute in any amount, please get in touch with me - Carrie@DaughtersOfTomorrow.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest in our work.